In 1903, the small township of Abermain began and in 1908, Fr McAuliff set up Catholic schools at Abermain and Kurri Kurri. Sr Marcellius Treacey and Sr Rita Gallagher were the first staff. Both sisters travelled by horse drawn bus from Cessnock each day with an enrolment of 85.
In 1940, the school name was recorded as St Francis Xavier Church School. 1966 saw a name change and the schools were to become known as St Joseph’s Primary School, Kurri Kurri and St Joseph’s Infants School, Abermain.
In 1991, the schools changed names to Holy Spirit to be in line with the Parish.
Much work has been completed on the schools since then, with four beautiful classrooms, canteen, COLA, fencing and library being constructed between 2007 and 2010 being financed by the IOSP grant and the BER grant.
Holy Spirit Abermain has been well supported by the community and has had a consistent enrolment for many years. The expected enrolment for 2020 is 150 students – comprising of six classes.