Holy Spirit Infants School is unique as it is the only infants school in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. As such, we are focused on the Early Learner and we aim to ensure the transition into Kindergarten, from a preschool or long day care setting, is a smooth and positive experience for all students and their families.
All new children enrolling in Kindergarten for the following year are invited to participate in a series of planned experiences to assist each child to become familiar with and confident in the setting of our school. We offer a series of four informal Kinder Playgroup play times across Term 3 and early term 4. Our Kinder Transition Program, held during Term 4, is a series of four purposeful visits to our school and each visit focuses on an aspect of school life.
Each visit has an inbuilt element of learning and fun.
The purpose of the program is to:
- Play and engage in play-based activities that spark wonder and joy
- Reduce anxiety amongst the preschool children and their parents about starting school
- Familiarise our incoming students with Holy Spirit classrooms, teachers, playground and school routines
- Allow preschool children to experience modelling of appropriate school behaviours by the current Kindergarten students
- Provide opportunities for preschoolers and their parents to meet other families commencing at Holy Spirit the following year.
Students transitioning to Year 3 are encouraged to seek enrolment at Holy Spirit Primary School, Kurri Kurri. In Year 2, students will have the opportunity to have transition visits to Holy Spirit Kurri Kurri in Term 4.